National Cargo Bureau was incorporated as a non-profit organization in May 1952 and began its actual operation on November 19, 1952. The Bureau was created to render assistance to the United States Coast Guard in discharging its responsibilities under the 1948 International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea* and for other purposes closely related thereto.
By assignment and under the authority of the United States Coast Guard, the certificates issued by National Cargo Bureau, Inc. may be accepted as a prima facie evidence of compliance with the provisions of the Dangerous Cargo Act and the Rules and Regulations for Bulk Grain Cargo.
National Cargo Bureau, Inc. is a continuation and amplification on a broader base of inspection services formerly performed by the Board of Underwriters of New York and the Board of Marine Underwriters of San Francisco and now operates on a nationwide basis.
* Superseded by the 1960 and 1974 Safety of Life at Sea Conventions